This historic route takes in the most renowned sites in Charente
Journey down a path that leads from the prehistoric era to the present day and explore 40,000 years of Saintonge’s history.
There are seven suggested circuits that help you to explore civilian, military and religious sites which each boast remarkable architectural treasures, while keeping your travel to a minimum.
- Around Royan: the town of Royan, the Caves of Regulus and Sablonceaux Abbey
- Around Château de La Roche-Courbon: explore Château de Crazannes, Château de Panloy and the treasures of Lisette
- Upper Saintonge, around Jonzac: Jonzac, Château de Beaulon, Pons Keep
- Around Marennes: explore Fort Louvois, Château de Saint-Jean-d’Angle and Trizay Abbey
- Around Saint-Jean d’Angely: the Royal Abbey of Saint-Jean d’Angély, Saint-Pierre d’Aulnay Church, Château de Dampierre, Château de Neuvicq
- Around La Rochelle: the town centre and the La Rochelle Fine Arts Museum, Surgères and Château de Buzay